Monday, January 17, 2011

Glimpse Into the Future

The Men's fall 2011 shows have been going on in Italy and it is looking like 2011 is going to be another amazing fashion season. One of the things that I love about men's fashion is how it tends to avoid any drastic jumps in styling. This usually means that a male with a well-tailored and styled wardrobe can maintain his fashion elitism by only adding a few items each season. It is the matching of the current pieces that may have slight variations, but in general the men's world doesn't see radical deviations year to year.

Pitti Uomo, the fashion trade show in Florence, is showing for the next season, but my favorite viewings are the amazing photos taken by all of the photo-bloggers waiting like vultures outside the venues. They silently circle the crowds of perfectly-dressed buyers and editors, waiting to pounce on the perfect shot. More often than not, I find that these stylish crowds can serve as indicators as to what trends we may see. This year I noticed a few distinct trends (captured by famed photographer, Tommy Ton).

The first thing that I noticed from this year's crop of shots was the bold mixing of patterns. In many instances they took 3 completely different patterns and put them together in a way that blends perfectly. This will be the sartorial test that weeds out the fashion masters from the novices. This advanced level of coordination takes a very keen eye and an excellent grasp of fabrics, patterns, and colors. See a few of my favorite examples below.

Another trend that I see has continued from this season is the statement sock. However, I noticed more of a leaning towards the blue/green side of the color wheel vs. the yellows and oranges we saw this past fall. I especially like the robin's egg blue that is shown in one of the shots below.

The last trend that I will share with you that I noted is the change in the denim. My wife was actually ahead of the curve and predicted perfectly with a new pair of jeans she got me for my birthday. We are seeing a little bit of a shift from the very dark solid washes to options with a little bit of character. This can be anything from the lighter "mid-western" washes, to indigo washes with a bit of additional fading like the ones directly below. These pants tend not to be overly destroyed, as many of the editors are pairing them with sport coats and tailored blazers. Think less Hollister, and more classic Adriano Goldschmied.

Final Verdict: Keep your eye out for some of these variations and options from retailers this season as they clear out their inventory this January and even into February.

No comments:

Post a Comment